News from the August 2013 Meeting
Superintendent Brian G. Osborne updated the Board and the community on progress on District Goals. Highlights included:
- International Baccalaureate Middle Years Programme training for teachers and administrators to prepare to welcome the first IB MYP cohort to sixth grade in September;
- Adoption of curriculum for a new Robotics Course at Columbia High School, and of revised Social Studies curriculum for grades 3-5;
- Professional development opportunities for administrators and teaching staff to prepare for the 2013-2014 school year; and
- Unprecedented kindergarten enrollment.
- Adoption of District Goals for 2013-2017 – These goals set the priorities for 2013-2014 and beyond.
- Capital Update– Progress on current construction projects and maintenance, as well as future capital plans.
- Teacher Evaluations for 2013-2014 – Update on the impact of new state regulations on district teacher evaluations practices.
- Consolidated Monitoring Report– Discussion of findings from the New Jersey Department of Education’s Office of Fiscal Accountability and Compliance, including the district’s decision to appeal 11 findings, and the corrective plan created for the other 17 findings.
The next meeting of the Board of Education will take place at 7:30pm on Monday, September 16, 2013, at 525 Academy Street in Maplewood.