Friday, December 23, 2016

FIRED TEACHER'S ANGRY EMAILS PROMPTED POLICE AT SCHOOL BOARD MEETING

The Board of Education requested a police presence at the last school board meeting on Monday after receiving several angry emails, apparently from a former teacher upset about being terminated.

The emails, obtained by Maplewoodian.com, were from a teacher who had been appointed to a position last year, but claims he was unfairly terminated in November.

One email, dated Dec. 15, 2016, said, in part:

I was terminated unfairly on ---- Still waiting for pay due. Today I am going to contact the commissioner of education to file the formal complaint. Upon completion of doing so I will be alerting people, starting with parents of students, about the double standard of how people in the district not only took part in what happened to me, but also how the district allows teachers with actual criminal charges to remain in the district as teachers. There is plenty more too. I will send the first email to Ms. Pai, a parent of a child I have taught. After that, it's the newspaper. If I have no pay, why keep quiet any longer? I'm not.

That was followed by another email the same day that stated:

Lastly, I see Monday 12/19/16 is a Board Meeting. It is one I may feel so inclined to to (sic) exercise my right of free speech and freedom of assembly, right outside the building, across the street or in the general vicinity and espouse the truth. I have a lot of markers and poster board for nice pretty signs. They are left over from the job I was essentially fired from without cause. I mean after all, I was not allowed to speak, or even offered a Donaldson hearing, so maybe this will be better. It will definitely be cathartic, for me at least.


We have chosen not to identify the teacher, but did reach out to him for comment with no response yet. 

Police did not respond to a request for comment on the police presence at the meeting, but School District Spokesperson Suzanne Turner issued the following statement when we sought information about the situation:

We have had a police presence at board meetings in the past, whenever there were indications that the crowd might be large or there might be controversial issues. 

Of course if there were anything related to an employee or former employee, I would be unable to comment.

No comments: