Sunday, September 25, 2016

REPUBLICAN TC CANDIDATE: I WON'T VOTE FOR TRUMP

Mike Summersgill
Republican Township Committee Candidate Mike Summersgill says he does not support Donald Trump and will not vote for him in November.

"I don't support Donald Trump," Summersgill told Maplewoodian.com in an interview this week. "I didn't vote for him (in the primary) and I knew it was largely symbolic as many Republicans in Maplewood did."

Summersgill, who is facing Democrat Frank McGehee in the Nov. 8 election, made the comments during a lengthy podcast interview with Maplewoodian.com, which will be posted in early October. 

Donald Trump
"A lot of my concern around Donald Trump is I don't think he's qualified," Summersgill added. "He's done nothing to surround himself with good people to give him, A, good advice, or insight."

The question of Summersgill's view of Trump, as a Republican himself, has come up in the campaign as people have asked him if he will support the real estate mogul, whose record of lies, offensive comments and racist views has driven many Republicans away.

"I can't support someone that doesn't recognize they need the advice of people that know what they're talking about, and that could be on any issue," Summersgill said, later adding, "I don't want to see how that manifests itself with someone in the highest position in our country."

He also said, "I'm worried what the future holds and I would like to see us work past partisanship to compromise ... I can't really see at this point Trump changing enough to get my vote."

Asked if this means he will vote for Hillary Clinton, Summersgill said he had not made up his mind, but made clear it would not be Trump. 

"I really am taking a look at (Green Party nominee) Jill Stein, as well as the Libertarian candidate (Gary Johnson)," Summersgill said. "There's been some things around Hillary Clinton that have resonated with me that I wasn't aware of. Her start in politics, her service of children and as a lawyer, what she was advocating for. "

But, he said, "I don't find her likeable, which I think is the same as many people in the country. And then it's a matter of well, do you have to like a person for them to do a good job? The answer to that question is no. But it doesn't make it easier to pull the lever for them come November."

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Mr. Summersgill,

Could please elaborate on what likeable means to you? Thank you.

Unknown said...

I have a hard time defining it. For me, It's a feeling more than anything else.