Tuesday, July 24, 2012

PEN PAL LETTER ISSUE


Let me start by saying I am a huge fan of the Maplewood Library and its programs for children, many of which my kids use every week. This summer, the library has been something of a day camp for them, with both using program after program.

I also routinely list them on my site as regular readers know.

Among these programs is the African Pen Pals, a great opportunity for children to correspond with kids from another culture about their way of life. My kids have participated in this and will continue to.

The last batch of letters received last week, these from Kenya, included one that caught my eye more than most when my 11-year-old daughter showed it to me.

It included a mention of the local custom of male and female circumcision. The male circumcision did not cause much concern to me as that is pretty accepted in this country, even if it is also controversial. But female circumcision, for those who do not know, is basically forced mutilation of female genitals to deny sexual pleasure.


The World Health Organization has called it a "violation of human rights."



I was somewhat surprised that this letter was given to my daughter.

When I contacted the library director, I was told that letters in this program, which dates back more than four years, are always reviewed.

But this batch did not get to be reviewed because it was received less than a day before the children met to receive them. It sounds as if this was a simple mistake and not a common occurrence.

I remain a supporter of the library and this program, but wanted to share this incident and ask if any other parents had come across questionable letters given to their children.

I believe the program is solid and the library director, Sarah Lester, said she stands by it.

No comments: