Sunday, August 19, 2012

FORMER MAPLEWOODIAN CITES HOMETOWN IN NY TIMES

Read this great piece from one Peter Wilderotter, former Maplewoodian and son of local former lawyer Charles Wilderotter, in today's New York Times:




MY father practiced law in our hometown, Maplewood, N.J., and my mother took care of our family of six children. I was the fifth child, probably destined to follow my father into the legal profession. But at 13, I found a lump on my neck. At first, the doctors thought it wasmumps or maybe a tooth infection, but after a biopsyHodgkin’s disease was diagnosed.

In those days, parents consulted with doctors behind closed doors, and no one told me anything. I could feel the fear around me and thought I was dying. Then, in 1968, as I was being readied for tumor removal surgery, I overheard the nurse say it was Stage 4 Hodgkin’s. I had no idea what that meant, but when I returned home from the hospital, I looked it up in our encyclopedia

Read on HERE.

No comments: