Monday, October 26, 2015

MAYOR WANTS TO LOOK AT I.D. CARDS FOR UNAUTHORIZED IMMIGRANTS

Should Maplewood offer identification cards for unauthorized immigrants in our town?

Mayor Vic Deluca wants to look into the issue, noting that other cities such as Newark, Asbury Park, Trenton and Princeton have done so.

"I wanted to raise the idea here," he said at Tuesday night's Township Committee meeting. "A number of towns are looking at doing I.D. cards for unauthorized immigrants, these are municipal I.D. cards."

He added, "I'd like to get some more information, share it with you and put it on for discussion at some point. These are folks who are not citizens who may have difficulty in identifying themselves, having an I.D. accepted by certain entities. I will bring back some information about it so we can have that conversion."

Stay tuned!

No comments: