Just before noon today, South Mountain Big School staff noticed a gas-like odor, and students and staff were briefly evacuated as a precaution. The South Orange Fire department examined the scene. The odor was identified as residual fumes from work being done on the furnace, after the gas had been shut off. The Fire Department determined the building to be safe, and gave clearance to return at approximately 12:14 p.m. The day is proceeding as normal.
As always, student safety remains a top priority in our district. We are grateful to the South Orange Fire Department for their quick response and assistance.