Wednesday, April 8, 2015

NEW SUPERINTENDENT MEETS THE PUBLIC, VOWS TO BE "IN IT FOR THE KIDS"

Incoming Superintendent of Schools John Ramos met with residents and parents for the first time Tuesday night during a meet and greet at Columbia High School.

As has been reported, Ramos will begin his new job on Aug. 1, 2015, with a salary of $175,000. You can read more background on him HERE. He will replace former superintendent Brian Osborne, who left last summer for a much higher-paying post.

Ramos spoke at length to a large crowd at the high school about why he chose to come to South Orange Maplewood and his approach. He mentioned his opposition to standardized testing and said his views and decisions will not please everyone, but vowed to work with the community.

"The board helped me understand just how committed they and the people in the district are to their children and that stuck with me," he said. "I've had a lot of experiences that were just touched on and I had made up my mind that I really wasn't going to do superintendent work again ... it was very clear to me that if I was going to do this kind of work again it would have to be in a situation where adults were in it for the kids." 

See below:


No comments: